MOSTEIRO OF SANTA MARIA DE SALZEDAS
The monastery of the Order of Cister: its construction began in 1168. With its foundation closely linked to the figure of Teresa Afonso, wife of Egas Moniz, the monastic complex was largely extended in the seventeenth and eighteenth century, highlighting a new and monumental cloister in the XVIII century, with traces of the Maltese architect Carlos Gimach.
Counting on his estate with works by some of the greatest names in painting in Portugal, such as Vasco Fernandes (Grão Vasco), Bento Coelho da Silveira or Pascoal Parente, with the extinction of Religious Orders in Portugal in 1834, the church was converted into a parish church and part of the monastic dependencies sold to private.
Classified as National Monument in 1997, in 2002, under protocol with the Diocese of Lamego, the Portuguese State began the progressive restoration of buildings and estate, making it open to the public in October 2011.